2022 UNESCO Silk Roads Fellowship for Young Scholars (USD 10,000 grant)
Registration deadline: May 31, 2022.
UNESCO is calling on young women and men under the age of 35 to apply for the 2022 Youth on the Silk Roads Research Grant. The grant aims to mobilize young researchers for a more in-depth study of the common heritage of the Silk Roads. Twelve scholarships from $10,000 will be awarded per research project.
Research should address specific questions regarding:
- the common heritage and plural identities developed along the Silk Roads,
- its internal diversity,
- its potential in contemporary societies for creativity, intercultural dialogue, social cohesion, regional and international cooperation, and
- ultimately lasting peace and development.
The UNESCO Silk Roads Youth Fellowship was first launched in 2021 and is organized under the UNESCO Silk Roads Program with the support of the National Commission of the Republic People’s Republic of China for UNESCO, within the framework of UNESCO’s social and human sciences programme.
- Postgraduate scholars, aged 35 and under at the time of application, are eligible to apply for the grant. The proposed research may be carried out by an individual researcher or may be part of a group research or collaborative project.
A wide range of research areas, including multidisciplinary and multidimensional proposals not limited to a specific region or timeline, are eligible. Proposed research may cover one or more themes associated with the shared heritage of the Silk Roads, including, but not limited to:
- Science, technology and traditional know-how
- Religion and spirituality
- Language and Literature
- Arts and music
- Traditional sports and games
- Economy and Trade
- The legacy of the Silk Roads and contemporary issues
Applicants should submit their research proposals by download and fill out the template provided detailing their research project, its methods, expected results and contribution to existing research.
Proposals should be submitted in English and sent to: [email protected]
The deadline for submitting proposals is May 31, 2022.
Submitted research proposals will be evaluated by a scientific panel composed of renowned international academics.
The list of scholarship recipients will be announced during the end of September 2022.
For more information: